I hope you will find things among my random thoughts that resonate with you and yours. I'd love to read your reactions in the Comments, and I'll be sure to visit you in return. Best regards, Mary

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Activism and Advocacy

You'll propbably agree that this is a heavy opener for a blog about the "spice of life". If you dropped in to be titillated I apologize! In the future I'll take a lighter hand, but this is a day for reflection. It's a day to contemplate my own good fortune compared to the lives of so many others, and to ponder ways I might make a difference for some of those others.

I find it hard to be playful when 239 people on a 777 airplane are lost over the ocean, when Syria has become a nation of refugees, and the Central African Republic is a literal death camp. Equally distressing is awareness of the plight of many right here in Wayne County, Michigan, USA.

The differences between my life and theirs keep nagging me, urging me to seek ways to address that difference. That's where Activism and Advocacy come in. I won't spend a lot of time "word-smithing", but I need some tools to help me find ways to be involved. Advocacy is aligning oneself with an issue or idea, then working within its structure to raise awareness and work toward improvement. Activism is more "impatient. It usually operates outside an established structure to initiate steps toward quick change, often in confrontational ways.

As an experienced "organization person" I'm looking for a suitable advocacy group. I know my capabilities and limitations, so when I find something that appeals to me I'll know where I might fit in.

The Devil is in the Details  Important aspects of the "right" organization:
  • It will probably be a non-profit, perhaps an NGO (non-governmental organization). 
  • There will be lots of "grunt work" where I can start with little training.  
  • There may be some pay, however small. (I don't know if that is possible.) Volunteering is noble, but after contributing hundreds of hours since "retiring" I know that burnout and lack of respect are inevitable no matter how good the cause.  Even a little pay would make up for the loss of personal time and inevitable failures.  
For practical advice I reviewed  Everything You Need to Know About Working for a Non-Profit.

Ready, Set, Go . . . 

That's my plan. I am searching the internet for suitable groups and I'll report to you under various letters in this blog. Whatever else I post you can be sure I'll be working on this project "in background".

Oh, yes - if you have any suggestions for me to look into please put them into comments. I look forward to hearing from you.

I'll see you later,
Mary

18 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, I'm part of co host Pam's Unconventional Alliance. Dropping in from the #atozchallenge. Good luck with your noble cause... I have become friends with a few Syrian refugees in the last few years, they certainly need all they help they can get Reflex Reactions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ida, So happy to meet you! I checked Reflex Reactions quickly - excellent connection for me! I followed you on Twitter and added you to a G+ circle. Looking forward to future interactions with you and RR. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent write, Mary. I wish you the very best in taking up this noble cause.
    Love and prayers..
    Thanks for stopping by..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from A/Z. I do hope you can find what you are looking for to be active in what you want to advocate! I think it is a worthy endeavor. I have to agree with your thought about volunteering; it can lead to burnout, especially if one is volunteering at something that no one else is stepping up to help with (like positions at church for instance).

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Betty, Thanks for the visit and your words of encouragement. It sounds like your experience has been like mine. When I volunteeer to manage someone's website, or more recently their social media presence, they usually think I mean to be permanent in the job. It seldom turns out well. Happy blogging! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary, I know exactly what you mean about contemplating your own good fortune. I recently saw a documentary about Afghanistan and have felt unsettled since. The only thing that separates us from complete desolation is geography at this point but I often wonder if that will be the case in 50 years from now... Anyway, I'll definitely be checking back again! I'd love to help in anyway I can. I've added you on google +
    All the best with A-Z
    Lena from http://unwaveringme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena, Thanks so much for the visit - and for the encouraging words.
      I'm on my way "to your place" to visit. I'm eager to know more about you
      Mary

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Good luck finding the place you feel right in. It's easy to get complacent and it's good to see not everyone is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Kate,
    Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your understanding and good wishes.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I commented in the wrong place, doh!! having a bad day, hahaha, the universe is messing with me!
    Truly Mary your best post ever! Well written and heart felt...excellent start to the A2Z, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry forgot to leave a link for people...I should go back to bed! lol

      Enjoying the A to Z Challenge Maggie@expatbrazil.

      Delete
    2. Maggie,
      Glad you liked it!!
      PS I'm glad you told Lena about the href signature! I wanted to but thought it might be - well - rude? I think you are the one who told me and I love it. Arlee should put that suggestion at the top of the sign-up sheet.
      hugs -

      Delete
  10. It's admirable that you are wanting to make a change that will allow to be an activist and an advocate! As someone who works in the nonprofit world myself, I know how hard it can be to find the right one to work for, so good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Amy,
    Thanks for visiting! I appreciate the encouragement. Now I'm going to pay you a visit. Enjoy A to Z.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems like you have taken the first big step, becoming aware and wanting to help. Awareness, Advocacy and Activism :-) I don't have much time for volunteer work but I do try to help with food drives for our local food bank. It seems so little and yet at least its something. The idea of people, especially children, not having enough food to eat makes me sick. Best of luck finding a good fit. I'm looking forward to reading about what you choose to pursue.
    Liz at Bead Contagion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I'm headed for your place now. As for you, every little bit helps. I feel that's the secret. Mary

      Delete
  13. Mary, this is something we all have problems with … to find our own place in a world that so full of cry, pain, hurt and disaster - but I think it’s more important that we find our place in a world that is bright, helpful, enjoyable and full of laughter.
    Wars really upset me - no one wins – only losers, and they claim it’s all in the interest of the nation and for our security – 1000 miles away from the war.
    Really enjoy your view on the A-Z – good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete